The Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, New Delhi by its order dated 16.05.07 in SLP (C) No.24295/2004 stated the following in order to curb the menace of RAGGING in Educational Institutions.
“If any incident of Ragging comes to the notice of the authority, the concerned students shall be given liberty to explain and if his explanation is not found satisfactory, the authority would expel him from the institutions”
Definition of Ragging
Under laws in India, ragging is defined as:
- Any disorderly conduct by either by acts or words spoken, the effect of which is teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student;
- Any rowdy or undisciplined activity, which causes annoyance, hardship or psychological harm;
- Raise fear or apprehension thereof in the minds of junior student
- Asking the students to do an act or perform something, which such student will not do in ordinary course, which has the effect of causing shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a junior student.
As per the directions of the Honorable Supreme Court of India, Chennais Amirta International Institute of Hotel Management has constituted an Anti ragging Committee headed by our Chairman, Principal, and Head of Departments, to curb the menace of ragging . The college implements a Zero Tolerance Policy.
Preventive Measures to Eradicate Ragging in the Institution for the Academic Year 2019-2020
- Constituting Anti ragging Committee and Anti-ragging squad in our institution to preclude ragging and maintain the expected code of Conduct.
- Displaying quotes and legal acts of ragging at all designated places in the college campus.
- Obtaining affidavits/ Declaration forms against Ragging, from all the students and their parents.
- In the orientation program conducted for the first years in the beginning of the academic year, the students were instructed about the steps taken by the institution to curb ragging.
- Ragging Complaint box is kept in the prominent place in the college.
- HOD’s/Faculties of all the departments were instructed to keep a strict vigil to curb ragging.
- Hostel wardens were asked to carry on periodic supervision to check ragging at the hostel premises.
- During the regular Meetings, HOD’s, Mentors, Faculties, Students Care officers create awareness among students about prevention of ragging and other issues regarding ragging. The students shall be closely monitored, so that the ragging is curbed.
Anti – Ragging Committee comprises the following members
- Department HOD/Faculty
Anti ragging Squad comprises the following Members
- Hostel Warden
- Student’s Representative.
Functions of the Anti Ragging Committee and Squads
- The Committee shall monitor the function of the vigilance squad.
- To consider the complaints received from the students and conduct inquiry and submit report to the Principal along with punishment recommended for the offensiveness
- Anti-ragging committee/Squads to make surprise visits and take effective steps to prevent ragging.
- Oversee the procedure of obtaining undertaking from the students in accordance with the provisions. Conduct workshops against ragging menace and orient the students to take all necessary measures for prevention of ragging inside the campus
- This Squad will make surprise raids on, hostel messes, hostel rooms and all the areas of College campus. The squad shall work under the overall guidance of Anti- Ragging Committee.
Anti Ragging / Disciplinary Committee for Students
Anti Ragging Committee members hear and determine matters related to alleged misconduct or incompetence against students of the College.
It is the responsibility of the Committee to determine, if the student is guilty of misconduct or incompetence. Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the institution level, shall be any one or any combination of the following:
- Cancellation of Admission
- Suspension from attending classes
- Withholding / Withdrawing scholarship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international level activities.
- Suspension /expulsion from the hostel
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other Institution.
Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
ANTI RAGGING HELP LINE
Tel : 8939300300
E mail : email@example.com